Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Adding a submenu in the sidebar for a specific page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kralle
    Participant

Hello there! :-)

I’m working on a site, and I’m new to WordPress. I’ve spent hours on Google trying to find a solution to my problem, but I honestly don’t know how to fix this. I’m looking for a way to add a submenu in the sidebar to a specific page. I could imagine, I’d have to use the built-in-Wordpress custom navigation menu and perhaps set up two types of menus, which I’ve done here in the functions.php-file:

if ( function_exists( 'register_nav_menus' ) ) {
    register_nav_menus(
    array(
    'menu' => 'Menu',
    'submenu' => 'Sidebar submenu'
    )
    );
    }

In the header.php I’ve written the following:

'menu_order', 'container_id' => 'topmenu', 'theme_location' => 'primary', 'link_before' => '', 'link_after' => '' ) ); ?>

… and it works perfectly with the CSS, except for the fact that the submenu-item is still stuck at the #topmenu. I’m sure I’d have to put something in the sidebar.php to let the links to the “children” pages of the parent page show there, but I don’t know what to put in sidebar.php. This of course means that I’ve set the submenu-pages to be a child of the parent page in the Dashboard’s page-overview-options. I also need the sidebar-submenus to contain some sort of id or class, since I’m styling them via CSS.

I’d love to get some help on this. Thanks in advance,
    Kralle

Kralle
    Participant

I’m sorry to bump this, but I cannot figure out what to do. Can anyone help me?

jamygolden

You could give the page a special page template. For example, ‘contact.php’

if ( is_page_template('contact.php') ) {
    // Do whatever
    }
    ?>
    Jacek

And is there a way that I set “Page Sidebar” with my custom menu in the widgets and it appears only when I’m on “some_site”? If so, what should I write in the code? I have been trying for some time but some strange things and errors appear?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.