Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Adapt Perfect Background Image to Display Site Pages?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    sfoshee
    Participant

OK, how about this. I am trying to get the pages of a site to display without scrolling and to re size automatically regardless of the user’s screen resolution. I read this article here about doing the same for background images, and wondered if it might be possible to do the same with pages?

https://css-tricks.com/perfect-full-page-background-image/

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FezVrasta
    Participant

Are you talking about responsive design?…

sfoshee
    Participant

Well, they want each page of the site to look the same regardless of the screen resolution, so nobody has to scroll down – it just detects what their screen resolution is and shows the web page the same, scaling it as need be. Is this possible in WordPress? Their prior site in Joomla did it.

Paulie_D

Well, they want each page of the site to look the same regardless of the screen resolution, so nobody has to scroll down – it just detects what their screen resolution is and shows the web page the same, scaling it as need be.

Ugh…that’s an entirely unreasonable (IMO) request and would provide a very poor experience for the user.

The page would be tiny on a smartphone.

sfoshee
    Participant

Agreed. But is it possible for the pages to be the same on laptops/desktops?

nixnerd
    Participant
    .bg{
    background-image: url('myimage.jpg');
    background-size: cover;
    }
    nixnerd
    Participant

But you should totally listen to Paulie and tell your boss/client no. They WON’T be happy and they’ll blame you. Mobile has SO MANY different considerations that just don’t exist on larger devices. And vice versa really…

Paulie_D

i have a question…are the ‘desktop’ sized pages one screen only with no scrolling?

Seems unlikely.

I’m inclined to think that the actual requirement has been misunderstood.

nixnerd
    Participant

Seems unlikely.

That it does. Unless OP is talking about full-page “sections” but I’m pretty sure that would have been mentioned, as that involved scrolling.

sfoshee
    Participant

Thanks so much for your help! The pages, except for the blog page and legal page, are all single non-scrolling pages.

nixnerd
    Participant

The pages, except for the blog page and legal page, are all single non-scrolling pages.

How do you make sure of that? Is there copy text on said pages?

Paulie_D

The pages, except for the blog page and legal page, are all single non-scrolling pages.

So what happened with these scrolling pages under the old set-up?

sfoshee
    Participant

The site owner doesn’t want anyone to have to scroll. All the pages (except for the blog page and legal page) are designed to be above the fold, viewable without any scrolling. It looks fine on most screen resolutions, but others with different resolutions have to scroll.

Old site, in Joomla
    http://www.lallabee.com/beta

New site, in WordPress:
    http://lallabee.com/wordpress/

FezVrasta
    Participant

You have to work with media queries, nothing else.

nixnerd
    Participant

You have to work with media queries, nothing else.

Don’t know about that. They should definitely be part of the approach.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.