Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Accessibility With Web Design: Case Study!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    James
    Participant

So, I’ve been recently researching accessibility on the web (part of my University project). As I dug in to the details, it almost stunned me by how accessibility is quite a big problem in web development and design stages. Problem framing became very easy once I explored websites, such as BBC News. BBC News follows the standard W3C recommendation for font-size, but where do we go to ramp that font-size up to 200%, which would make it easier for the visually impaired? A button here, a button there, it’s just not easy for the less technically inclined users.

Do we really think about accessibility when creating a website?

A lot of you will say no. I definately did. We all know there is an option in most modern, even old browsers that can easily change the font size in your window and the easy zoom tools most browsers come with — but could it be easier? Do the many people who require accessibility know these options are there for them?

When was the last time you walked in to a public library and noticed access to a visually enhanced computer? In fact, have you seen it anywhere? It’s not just a design problem, it’s a problem to a solution. There really isn’t a solution, unless you create it yourself.

A button clearly highlighting a tool for easier readability would fix it. Maybe something more advanced, like a UI panel that gives the user a few options in which they can modify the font-size, line-height, letter-spacing and word-spacing. Heck, even text-align with some justify on the go.

Here’s an example using CodePen:

See the Pen Is accessibility a problem? by James Martin-Davies (@JMDUK) on CodePen

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.