Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Absolutely brilliant article on site performance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shaneisme
    Participant
    Alen
    Participant

@shaneisme +100, I’ve seen this retweeted all day.

nixnerd
    Participant

@shaneisme I gotta give you credit… this is a very nice find and could potentially help me with a lot of issues I have with responsive design.

What method precisely is he using or should I be using to progressively load assets in the order he talks about?

I LOVE the philosophy of just loading what is absolutely needed right off the bat but I’m unsure of how to do it in a clean and reliable way.

nixnerd
    Participant

My old method was to just prevent certain assets from downloading on smaller resolutions. But… as you can see here:

http://timkadlec.com/2012/04/media-query-asset-downloading-results/

… It leads to real messy markup, as you have to make every image a background image, put it in in arbitrary parent element and then set the PARENT to display:none. What a pain.

shaneisme
    Participant

Filament group had an article that goes more into the nuts and bolts:

http://filamentgroup.com/lab/performance-rwd.html

Basically, there are tools out there that make it part of your workflow so it’s not so tedious. It puts “above the fold” content and CSS inline and load everything else asynchronously.

The new picture specification helps with everything else… eventually.

nixnerd
    Participant

The new picture specification helps with everything elseā€¦ eventually.

Read about this on Hacker News the other day and it sounded quite cool.

Filament group had an article that goes more into the nuts and bolts

Will read. That’s been the problem I have with responsive… I feel limited on what I can do (desktop wise) and the mental overhead of complicated media queries sometimes is too much to bear. But… this sounds promising.

Thanks again!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.