Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript ability to use cross domain css on another site… possible with JS?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    timaging
    Participant

hi,

ok, so check out this page

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B/FR_BOS.htm

I want to have an iFrame on a local site, but create styles for this site that’s hosted elsewhere. Is there a way to do that? I don’t have access to that site, but want to display the information and have it look nicer.

I asked in the CSS forums and they said possibly could be done with js?

thanks!
    Dave

Senff
    Participant

Nope, impossible.

timaging
    Participant

so, apparently it is possible. I have a friend that’s done it but he hasn’t done it in a while. This is what he recalls so far:

_collect all the content into a javascript array.

It may be that you can use a dom object for that – something that can hold the whole document as an html object.

Then you can iterate over the object element by element and add a style attribute. Finally, add a link to your css sheet in the header of your dom object.

Then write the object out to the page.

In effect, you’ve scraped the other page, and are writing your own version.
    _
    I just don’t know how to write that. I’ll see if he can help me and if so we can show you how to do it.

timaging
    Participant

Hi Mottie,

My understanding is that as long as we credit the source then we are allowed. That is stated o the site. I’m just trying to make those dang baseball stats look nicer.

It actually looks like you can create a widget, but I still can’t seem to figure out how to create my own style:

there appears to be css=1, so Maybe turning that to css=0 then I can apply, but I don’t know how that would even connect?

timaging
    Participant

ok, and I’m not sure if you are even seeing my code, but there is something seriously wonky with adding certain things to this page. I don’t know what that problem is.

__
    Participant

My understanding is that as long as we credit the source then we are allowed.

That is completely untrue. “Things on the internet” are not automatically public domain, nor does it imply consent-if-attribution or any other licensing model. You need to check the Terms of Service on the site you wish to use content from. If those Terms are unclear (or nonexistent), you need to contact the site owner for permission.

That is stated o [sic] the site.

I don’t see that… I do see this, on their FAQ page:

All data contained at this site is copyright © 1996-2007 by Retrosheet. All Rights Reserved.

?

I’m not sure if you are even seeing my code

I don’t see any code in your posts above, no.

To explain @Senff’s comment, the reason you “can’t do it” is the same-origin policy, which all major browsers enforce nowadays. If your iframe’d content is on the same domain as your site (it’s not, in this case), or if you can get the site owner to allow Cross-Origin Resource Sharing, then you can do what you’re describing – otherwise, it will be hacky/fragile at best (and illegal at worst).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.