Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS <a> tag with no href

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    noahgelman
    Participant

Is it okay to use an <a> with no href? Kinda like using it as a span? Or is it a definite no-go? Well, I know you CAN if you wanted to, just wanted to know other peoples opinion on it.

jamygolden

It does validate, however, I don’t think it’s very semantic to use <a> tags all over the place.

I’ve never felt the need to use an <a> tag without the href.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

well you shouldn’t really… you should use a span :D If you aren’t using it as some kind of link then it should be a styled span…

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Of course – to do internal anchors hahahah I forgot about the other end :D

Thing is your can link to IDs and don’t need the <a name="blar"> anymore, so it’s kinda out dated… Plus if you are just using it like span and not an anchor, you should just use a span :D

visudex
    Participant
    "TT_Mark" wrote:
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    Plus if you are just using it like span and not an anchor, you should just use a span :D

Sure, but there is nothing wrong with <a> tags without href, only if you use it in the right way though :) A span is a span, and anchor is an anchor etc..

I agree, <a> tags don’t need an href, imagine yourself using the <a> to launch some kind of javascript, and you don’t want to style something that is the same as <a> tag.

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "visudex" wrote:
    "TT_Mark" wrote:
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    Plus if you are just using it like span and not an anchor, you should just use a span :D

Sure, but there is nothing wrong with <a> tags without href, only if you use it in the right way though :) A span is a span, and anchor is an anchor etc..

I agree, <a> tags don’t need an href, imagine yourself using the <a> to launch some kind of javascript, and you don’t want to style something that is the same as <a> tag.

Yes but if you are using it to launch the functionality is still a click – which means it is still an anchor tag. If you are choosing what to wrap some text in and choose an A over a SPAN then that is incorrect. You need to stick to the usage of the tag at least a little :)

noahgelman
    Participant

Wow, this got a lot more talkative then I previously thought it would.

Does anyone else have any minor questions like this as well?

noahgelman
    Participant

What are your opinions on tables? As to what range of use they’re for. Data tables obviously. But what about for forms? Or for very boxy layouts?

I personally only use them for data.

jamygolden

Table layouts are good! … For Email newsletters :lol:

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Table layouts are spawned under the armpit of the dark one – although Jamy is right, they work wonders on emails – but then again so does in-line styling lol

The only other place I use tables is on tablature data of course and forms that are huge or within the WordPress admin back end when I am making a plugin or theme options.

For the record, forms should always be try and layed out with <fieldset><legend><label><input> tags. :)

jamygolden

I created a table-layout newsletter this year and I was doing email-client testing. Did you know that Outlook 2003 is way more advanced (with css) than 2007 or 2010? What kind of a company downgrades?! (I think they started using the word engine to display the emails or something)

Quote:
    For the record, forms should always be try and layed out with <fieldset><legend><label><input> tags. :)

Legends make me happy.
    If I’m having a bad day, I create a form with a legend and it’s all good again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.