Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other A good foundation to work on

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    karimphoto
    Participant

I give up

Hi everyone,

Can’t get my site to run smoothly so need advice what to do.

I’m looking for a fast, clean, responsive theme with a left header for my menu.

Now I’m on http://dimsemenov.com/themes/touchfolio/about.html

I’m not sure, but I think this theme is not very good to work with, it’s just to many bugs and things that need to be fixed…

I work as a photographer so the image galley is one of the important thing, fast and simple gallery with caption. Also it need to be simple to load quick on slow connections over the world.

This is how my page looks today http://karimphoto.com/

For me it looks ok but if you start digging in the codes you will see (people from this forum also told me this) IT’S A MESS. I only know some simple CSS and HTML, so I really don’t understand whats needed for it to run smooth. Thats why I think it’s time to start fresh, on a good them. But I still like to be on WordPress.

Please can anyone give me any suggestion on what to do. Should I fix the them I’m on? Go for another theme, which one? Or should I hire someone to do all this for me even though I like it?

Would be very grateful for help!
    Karim

__
    Participant

Should I fix the them I’m on? Go for another theme, which one? Or should I hire someone to do all this for me even though I like it?

This depends mainly on your situation.

Do you want to learn about how HTML and CSS work, so you can solve problems like this on your own and not need to rely on others? If so, pick the best one and jump in. Learn the basics of HTML and CSS (there’s a great Google Code series on it), and ask for help when you get stuck on specific problems.

Contrarily, do you need it to “just work”? So you can focus on other aspects of running your business? In that case, yes, you should hire someone. (But be just as careful picking a dev as you would be picking a theme : )

karimphoto
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, I will look through the “Google Code series”.

I would love to learn how to do all this by myself. But right now i don’t have time to learn how to do it from scratch.

My options until i learn how to do it is to, continue on the theme i have, get a better theme and continue or find someone to help me.

If you people here look at my page, what would you do in my situation? and why?

http://karimphoto.com/

nixnerd
    Participant

Is this just a static site?

karimphoto
    Participant

@NIX

Kind of. Everything is going to be static, apart from a “feed/blog” most likely some kind of Instagram feed.

Thanks

nixnerd
    Participant

If this is built on WordPress… then I highly suggest you just pick one of the MANY themes that are out there. Surely something will fit the bill.

karimphoto
    Participant

Thanks for your time!

Yes it’s on WordPress. I’ve been looking pretty much after a good theme that have some of the basic features I need. Still no luck.

Happy to receive input on WordPress themes that will do the trick.

And also what would be better, a theme with built in image gallery or a plugin. I know you can find tons of plugin out there but don’t know if I should try to stay away from them as much as possible?

nixnerd
    Participant

I don’t know for sure because I don’t use wordpress (anymore). Just Google ‘freemium wordpress theme.’ Theme forest has a lot of portfolio themes. Also, you can search for ‘portfolio wordpress themes.’

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.