Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS A Fully Responsive Website.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BibCra
    Participant

Hey Everyone,

I’m an aspiring designer & developer from the UK. I’m new to WordPress and the concept of Responsive Web Design. Over the weekend I have managed to build a custom WP theme from scratch and made the theme responsive. However, the site only changes layout at set break-points and is not ‘fully’ responsive like the http://www.css-trick.com website. Can anyone shed some light on what I should be doing to make my site so responsive / fluid?

Many thanks,

Craig.

Paulie_D

You can always add more break points rather than just the ‘standard’ ones.

If at 536px (for instance) wide you need the design to look a certain way then just add that as a break point.

BibCra
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response Paulie. I’m not sure if adding more break points would help in this instance. If you resize in a desktop browser my test site behaves in this way http://www.blog.craigbibby.com/ when I want it to behave in this way http://viljamis.com/blog/. Any other thoughts?

:)

Paulie_D

Can you specify what behaviour you are after. It might just be that the second site is using transitions

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, definitely make the widths and side margins %’s so they’re fluid and then you’ll be able to see where you need breakpoints much easier, plus it will flow so much more gracefully.

BibCra
    Participant

Thanks for the responses guys. I’m looking at the same effects as Viljamis blog were it transitions gracefully and seems more fluid. My test site seems to just drop size at the break points which I don’t like. I will experiment more with %’s and see what I come up with.

Thanks again guys!

BibCra
    Participant

Thanks Andy. I’m not familiar with CSS transitions as yet. I will experiment with percentages & max-widths & see what I can come up with.

I’m trying to create a very basic responsive custom theme in its most simplest form as a foundation for all future projects.

BibCra
    Participant

I tried to merge the Skeleton grid system with the custom theme I built but couldn’t get it functioning correctly. Like I said I’m new to WP & RWD! :) However, I did take some ideas from the Skeleton theme which itself breaks at different points quite harshly rather than fluid transition like I aimed for. Maybe taking a different boilerplate may work. Which do you recommend! I’m trying to keep the framework I develop as simple as can be!

BibCra
    Participant

Thanks once again, I appreciate the response.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.