Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other A few beginner questions…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    crees

So I’ve come across some questions that I’m sure are trivial for you pros. Please provide any insight on the following:

1. If you can create it in CSS should you? For example I’m needing to implement a photo gallery that has a main nav w/ text (to select the genere of pictures) as well as a sub nav w/ thunbnails (to navigate through the pictures in the selected genere). I want all this to happen on a single page. I’ve found picture galleries in CSS and Javascript. I am wondering if one is better than the other. If so why?

2. Any good books/tips/resources that will help me develop GOOD habits early on. I continually hear ‘good code’ and ‘bad code’ and have a small understanding of what that really means. Any methodologies that will help me plan, create, and maintain ‘good’ HTML and CSS code would be very helpful.

Thanks for your help!

You only want to use a pure CSS solution if it has great support across all browsers. So in the case (an image gallery with navigation) you would want to use JS. Keep in mind that CSS is meant for styling and JS is meant for behaviour.

My tip in regards to good habits would be to Google OOP (Object-oriented programming), or more specifically for you, OOCSS. Other than that, just read as many books as possible. Just because it has been published doesn’t always make it right, but it will expand your knowledge. Commenting your code is always a good idea too, and try and keep it in a neat, hierarchical structure.

crees

Both comments helpful. I will look into the resources provided. As for JS vrs. CSS i will need to learn more about both before I have a preference.

Do you know what loads/renders faster? JS or CSS or is it more of a case by case?

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

Im not a pro, but what i can give you advice on is to ALWAYS comment the hell out of your code whether it be html, css, js, asp, c#, etc.. It may feel as if it is getting sloppy at times but when you get to a thousand lines of code and go back to it a few weeks later, YEAH!

crees

Thanks for the tip John. I’ve already noticed that with the small sites I’ve done so far.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

Like what joshuanhibbert said about books, just because they are published doesn’t make them right. And that’s really a good point. I’m in school now for software development but it seems that we are focusing mainly on web development now (for good reason). One thing i did was go to surrounding campuses and book stores and see what the latest book releases are and how to obtain them. Lots of ‘text’ book have a lot of theory behind them with examples along the way.

I say also ask around. if your serious about it go out to a company that focuses in web design / development. Ask to come in for a couple weeks to shadow. Before i got an internship i went out and shadowed at a few places and before i was in school for a year i already had a paid internship and thats not the best part, i was learning from really creative and strong developers. I also was taught tricks on how to get around certain things.

The only way your going to really get strong at what you do is to just keep doing it. But, if your dad never taught you how to throw a football you can sit outside and throw it all day but it could still be wrong.

You said you’ve already noticed that on the ‘small sites you’ve done so far’.. well hell, there ya go. Find an experienced developer / designer and show them your work, hell, even upload in jsfiddle a page from your site and have them critique your code. A pro may tear up your work or even tell ya good job, but you wont know until ya do it.

So start networking locally, find your baseline, and strive for fundamentals.. Good luck to you and i wish you success.

crees

Great advice! I will definitely share my code with a more talented folks when the site is complete. I like the idea of getting torn to shreds :)

John, since your last comment I’ve been researching college course books on front end development and plan to get my hands on a few. Thanks for the good ideas!

Thanks for everyones input. As you have more ideas please keep sharing them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.