Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS 3rd Nested Div styles won't show up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    owlinargyle
    Participant

I have a series of nested Divs. All the styles are showing up fine in my HTML page, but when I move everything over to my ASP page, all the styles for anything within the 3rd layer of Divs and higher is not being applied. I can’t seem to figure out why. I thought it was something with the ASP page, but when I moved it to CodePen, it’s doing it there too.

I’ve been banging my head against this all day. I’m obviously missing something. Does anyone see what it is? (See the “Health Trends” tab)

My CodePen

Paulie_D

Not entirely sure what you mean but try removing float:left &/or display:inline-block from#chartLinks

owlinargyle
    Participant

Thanks, but removing those attributes on the #chartLinks div didn’t make the rest of the attributes for the other styles show up. =(

What I meant, was that the LIs’ links in the “Health Trends” tab are supposed to look like buttons or tabs. That’s what’s not showing up.

Paulie_D

Oh…I get it.

I think the tab styling is controlled by the tabs class and that hasn’t been applied to the ul inside #chartLinks.

Is that it?

owlinargyle
    Participant

Sorry, no. The tabs class is applied to the first set of Tabs. The chartTabs is applied to the #chartLinks div, the second set. That’s not included in the CodePen, because it’s a separate JS that doesn’t play well with the first one. It only controls the functionality of the content switching, which I’m not concerned with at the moment. The styles should still show up regardless.

Ferdley
    Participant

Spotted it – in your HTML you have

<

ul class=”chartTabs”> but your CSS has ul.vertTabs. Switching the HTML classname fixed the LI styles.

Paulie_D

Ok…I getting pretty confused now…:)

The missing styling you want is applied with .chartTabs but that style isn’t in the Codepen … so I guess I’m missing something.

owlinargyle
    Participant

Hang on

owlinargyle
    Participant

Okay. I don’t know what happened, but for some reason my CodePen wasn’t updating in the browser. So what you were seeing was an old version and what I was doing wasn’t updating.

So I closed out my browsers and restarted, and cleared out all my CSS on the CodePen and re-added it, and now it’s working. So, go figure. =/

It’s still not working on my ASP page though. No explanation there. /sigh

owlinargyle
    Participant

So I still can’t figure out why the #chartLinks and #chartContent divs won’t show up in my ASP page. They show up just fine in my CodePen and on my HTML version.

Do you think it could have anything to do with the fact that the div.tabcontent and div.tabcontents are children of #tabContent?

owlinargyle
    Participant

Mottie, I was thinking that might be the case as well, but there really isn’t much else on the ASP page except a bunch of database calls and VBScript.

It’s also happening on other ASP pages with the same first set of tabs. Almost any additional CSS that’s placed into the .tabcontent div is not being recognized. I was able to get one Div id from another CSS file to show up, but nothing else. I guess I’m just going to have to keep searching.

Not all of the code on this project is mine. Ever since I was hired, I’ve been having to weed through it to find out what’s still being used and what’s completely irrelevant. It’s been really frustrating.

owlinargyle
    Participant

So get this. This issue wasn’t even the CSS! It was the relative links to the CSS files!!! For some reason on our server, they are not working properly if the directories are too many folders deep.

What we have going on is a Dev site. And then within that Dev site are copies of the site for our individual team members to work on in separate folders – like their own sand boxes.

So when I thought I was calling MY version of the CSS file (which is named exactly the same as the main Dev site), I was actually calling the main Dev site’s version of the CSS file, Which is why my changes weren’t showing up!

I’ve never run into anything like this before. Talk about stupid.

Anyway, problem solved. =)

Paulie_D

I recall that there used to be a limit to the number of characters (128/256?) that could be used in a directory structure in Windows. Don’t know if that is still true.

Glad you got it solved.

owlinargyle
    Participant

I don’t think that’s the case, but we’re going to follow up with our server admins.

Thanks!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.