Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS 3 Column Responsive Images – 33.333% not working in Codepen?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Grogan
    Participant

Here’s a link to my pen: http://codepen.io/jordangrogan/pen/bukKo

For some reason, I can’t get the gutters and the images to be right. The images should be 33% of the main div (with 25 px margin on each side) and the gutters should be 25px. Am I missing something easy?

Thanks for any help. Happy thanksgiving!

Paulie_D

Am I missing something easy?

Yes….three times 33.3% does equal 100% but then you are adding in margins so the width will add up to more that 100% of the total width of the wrapper.

So…the images cannot be 33.3% wide but rather [ (100% – 100px) / 3 ]percent wide.

You could use calc for this but that will depend on what browser support you need.

paulob
    Participant

Hi,

Just for fun you could use box-sizing (ie8+) so that padding is included in the width and do something like this.

.main {
      margin: 25px 25px 0 25px;

}
    img.header {
      width:100%;
    }
    img.small {
      border:0;
      width: 33.33%;
      padding: 25px 17px 0 0;
      float:left;
      -moz-box-sizing:border-box;
      -ms-box-sizing:border-box;
      -webkit-box-sizing:border-box;
       box-sizing:border-box;
    }
    img.small:nth-child(4), img.small:nth-child(7) {
    padding:25px 0  0 17px;
    }
    img.small:nth-child(3n+3) {
    padding:25px 9px 0 9px; 
    }

It’s a bit hacky though :)

Note that your use of nth-child is incorrect and that ‘img.small:nth-child(3)’ will look for the third img that is a child and not the third image with a class of .small. It only checks the class when it finds out if its the third-child and then applies the rules if the third child has the class.

In your example the header img is the first child so you would have needed to choose 4 and 7.

Paulie_D

Will that give gutters though?

Merri
    Participant

Here is a slightly advanced sample that gives gutters “by feature” of justified text alignment.

http://codepen.io/Merri/pen/Hvzbf

It gives fixed gutters by using calc as suggested by Paulie_D, and uses fluid gutter width as a fallback for browsers that don’t support calc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.