Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other 3-4 sec pause on page load in IE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eamonn

Hey guys,

For some reason my site – http://www.ashbrookstud.ie – takes around 4 seconds to load and function in IE6, 7, & 8. It runs just fine in all the other top browsers, and I’ve taken a good long look at all the code / disabled plugins, etc, and no joy. If anyone has any experience with this, I’d love to hear it!

Thanks in advance!

(It’s an equestrian stud site btw, not something run by Heidi Fleiss)

noahgelman
    Participant

I loaded it in IE and Firefox and didn’t see any difference.

Eamonn

Really? Nothing at all? It’s very marked on my machine. Thanks though!

I’ve googled the problem, and it seems there can be an issue with Microsoft’s TCP/IP v.6 protocols, which can be installed via automatic update. I’ve since carried out all the steps in ruling that out though, and I still have the problem. Anyone else care to give it a try?

snillor

For what it’s worth, I noticed a load time of 2-4 seconds in IE8, Chrome 6, Firefox .6.10, and Safari 4.0.4 (all for Windows). I did have a few things running, but not enough to cause a delay.

noahgelman
    Participant

hmmmm….. now I’m getting some loading issues. It’s weird that it worked so fast the first time. There was an error IE caught. Some kind of syntax error. Maybe fixing it might help?

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Timestamp: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:20:25 UTC

Line: 144
    Char: 1
    Code: 0
    URI: http://ashbrookstud.ie/
    noahgelman
    Participant

Also, your site doesn’t validate, it has a dozen or so errors. Try fixing those too. They can cause issues too.
    http://validator.w3.org/

Eamonn

Thanks guys,

I’m in the middle of trawling through all the code and refining/repairing it after a year of tweaks anyway, so I’d be surprised if it did validate fully, but there really shouldn’t be anything there causing such a delay.

The error code thrown out by IE is for line 145 (although I see you got same for line 144!) which contains the following:

onfocus="if (this.value == 'Search the Website') {this.value = '';}"
    onblur="if (this.value == '') {this.value = 'Search the Website';}"
    onclick="this.value = "";" value="Search the Website" name="s"
    />

Line 144 is the initial ‘onfocus’ rule, line 145 the ‘onblur’ rule, etc.

I’ve completely removing this block of code entirely to see if that made a difference, but no, it didn’t, so I put it back. I really don’t know what’s causing it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.