Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS 2 language = 2 websites?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    davidliu

Hi CSSers,

I am creating a website that will need to have 2 languages (English and Indonesian). I have seen sites that have the EN FR ID links to switch languages. Not sure how it works, but does that mean that we have to create multiple websites for each of the different languages? Or is there some trick or workaround?

Thank you for your advice!

Kenneth

My answer is not specific to website but programming in general.

I often have to make programs in two languages. And then you have a choice. Or you make to programs (websites) or you load the text for the program (website) from a database.

It all depends on how big your website is going to be. If it’s a static website that never changes (and you have no knowledge of database), maybe it’s better to make two websites.

If your website gets updated constantly, you would be better off with a database driven website but that complicates things

davidliu

Kenneth,

Thank you for your input.

I think that your proposed solution #1 would work for me since the information on the website is going to be unchanged for most of the time. Anyway it isn’t really that hard a thing to do. It’s harder to even comprehend how databases and things like that work :)

Thanks again!
    Cheers!

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster
    davidliu

Chris, that is very cool! Although I’m not sure if it will work for a page that needs everything translated :)

wd4u

I know that this is an old thread, but I’ve just arrived here at CSS-Tricks.
    For sites that have few pages say 8 for example, that will nicely fit a navigation bar, I include a drop-down menu from that original nav-bar. On the home page I place a comment in the other language to point the viewer to this option. Copy and paste all the pages in the original language as a sub-page to each original page, change them into the proper alternative language, as I personally don’t much like automated translation, to avoid mis-translation by a machine. And that’s it! (Professional graphic designer for many years, now building websites with weebly, some coding experience, but design and simplicity and clarity of use is my thing).

Sample site:
    http://montsee.weebly.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.