Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other 13″ vs 15″ MacBook Pro

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GreatPotato

I’m buying a new macbook in the next few days. I ideally want something portable – but I don’t want the portability to rule over functionality…

Is the 13″ macbook powerful and big enough to work on?

It won’t be my main machine as I have a nice i7 system with 27″ monitor, but I would work on it when i’m not at home (I travel a lot at weekends to visit mates etc).

So I would be willing to buy the 15″ if the 13″ was too difficult to work on for periods of time.

I would also prefer the i5 processor over the Core 2 Duo that the 13″ model has.

Opinions?

TheDoc

I own a 13″ Macbook – it’s certainly not very fun to work on over long periods of time. The screen real estate just doesn’t do it for me.

GreatPotato

Would you say it was too small for casual work? Im talking minor updates to websites while you are out of the office etc?

I may do a little development while I am off work etc? Im being pushed towards the 15″ but the 13″ is just so cute! :D

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I think I’ve heard that the display on the 15″ is amazing, better than the 13″ or 17″

TheDoc

Even for casual stuff I find it annoying. The price difference is a big deal, but the screen size alone makes that up for me (not to mention the cpu and gpu boosts).

Quintin_S

I’ve got a 15″. I’m used to my 30″ screen at home, though, so I hardly ever do design work on it.

I was actually drooling over a 17″ yesterday. I can see myself being perfectly happy with one of those.

GreatPotato

Ok i’m going for the 15″.

Should I pay for the screen upgrade though?

MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display [+ £0.00]
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display [+ £80.01]
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display [+ £120.00]

Is 1680×1050 to large a resolution for a 15″ screen?

MaskdTux

I am currently using the 15″ in Bolivia. I have written a couple full websites on it. I can’t say it is fun but I can do the work. I couldn’t imagine working with anything smaller.

I find that the regular 15-inch Glossy Widescreen works fine in all conditions. But I can only go to 1440×900 resolution on mine.

I also find it is a little big to take everywhere but I have been able to go everywhere with it.
    Through my travels the thing about it is it is just about indestructible with the machined case.

I wouldn’t want any other computer to travel with me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.