Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS 100% width of content with a table that is growing wider than 100%

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    iafiawik

Hi all,

I have run into a CSS issue that I cannot seem to solve myself. The thing is that I have very wide tables in my application, and I do not wish to use any “inline” scrolling (like overflow: scroll;) – I want to use the “regular” scrollbars that are available to the left of the browser window and at the bottom of the window.

In my sample project I have tried to reproduce this. As you can see, the table here is wide. If you resize the browser window so the horizontal scrollbar appear at the bottom of page and then scroll the horizontal scrollbar all the way to the right, the menu is no longer covering the whole page (as intended with the 100% width styling of the menu).

I cannot use anything that locks the menu vertically since vertical scrolling is quite common in the application and I want the menu to disappear when scrolling the page down.

So, to put it straight: how can I make this menu cover the whole page even when scrolling horizontally? I am looking for a solution that works in both IE7 and IE8.

If anyone has an idea how to solve this, I would be very grateful.

Untitled Page

• Item 1

• Item 2

• Item 3

sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf
    sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf

sylenix

what about making your nav menu stay on top when you scroll vertically or stay centered when you scroll horizontally, this can be done with javascript.

iafiawik

Hi sylenix,

Yes, that could be the solution. Do you know how to do that using Javascript?

sylenix

do you want it sticky or floating?

Rob MacKay
    Participant

For a simple option that might not be the best for you, you could make the menu fixed. this would keep it in the same place relative to the browser window so when you scroll down it would just be there at the top. Unfortunately it would cover some of your data, but you could hide it and slide it out on mouse over or something…

iafiawik

sylenix.

I want the menu to stay centered when I scroll horizontally.

yoboubdir

Hi, try this :

Untitled Page

iafiawik

yoboubdir,

Thanks.
    The problem with your solution is that when I scroll vertically, the menu is always visible. I want the menu to be hidden when I scroll downwards.

Edit: if there’s a way, CSS or Javascript, to make the menu hidden when scrolling downwards, the problem would be solved.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.