Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS 100% height – What am I doing wrong ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    N33dHlp

Hi,

I’m new to HTML and CSS and I would need your help, I tried a lot of things already !

My HTML is validated (same as the CSS so I’ll only post CSS code):

#container {
    width: 960px;
    margin: 0px auto;
    background: #333;
    overflow: auto;
    }

.container_left {
    float: left;
    width: 650px;
    background: transparent;
    }

.container_right {
    float: right;
    width: 300px;
    background: transparent;
    border-left: 1px solid #000;
    height: 100%;
    }

What I am trying to do is to have the left border of the .container_right stretching to the bottom of the #container. The problem is that #container height cannot be applied (Yeah, I know that it would solve my problem.) because I want to have #container and #container_left stretchable, depending on the content which user enters (in the .container_left).

Please help !

Welcome to floats, they are taken out of inline flow which means the #container box does not read the height of any floated elements within, only inline elements.
    This might help you:

http://www.mikepadgett.com/technology/technical/alternative-to-the-pie-clearfix-hack/

N33dHlp

@abochman #container stretches successfully with “overflow: auto”, depending on the content entered in .container_left, but the problem is that I cannot make .container_right to stretch (depending on .container_left content) to the bottom of the #container.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.