Thanks, @chrisburton, for the wicked-fast replies! I’m too quick to test and respond. I changed-up the src URI with an absolute path and the browser tricked me by displaying the icons appropriately.
After a few subsequent refreshes, the icons were lost / or funkified the display.
At other times I’ve used a different icon font, Chris’s was the approach I used. But just like hitting-up fontsquirrel or whatever, I just plugged in the Icomoon CSS that came with the DL. If that’s a poor CSS, I’m cool with changing it, but with a font as popular as Icomoon I’m surprised it hasn’t come up or been fixed yet.