Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Hide bottom menu active item border, while hovering another menu item with css Reply To: Hide bottom menu active item border, while hovering another menu item with css

Beverleyh
Participant

If you’re taking about hovering over the menu container to affect/target the children, then yes, that’s possible – I mentioned that here:

You can only target … child elements of the one being hovered.

However, you originally said:

I’m trying to figure out how to hide the bottom border (like changing the color) for the active menu item when I hover another menu item.

Which is, hovering over a sibling element to affect other siblings elements, right? And that can only be done for sibling elements that come after the one being hovered (as answered in comments of the SO top answer, and demo’d in the fiddle). If any come before the hovered sibling in the markup, they won’t be affected/targeted because there is no such thing as a previous sibling selector in CSS.

But back to using the container element to target children, in the context of the menu example…

Do you mean something like this? https://codepen.io/anon/pen/LgorOP