Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Does programmer have to be good at math? Reply To: Does programmer have to be good at math?

DeliriumRetrospect
Participant

Knowing basic algebra helps, but no. I would definitely say no. I have never done well in math classes in school but I’ve been a skilled, self-taught code-junkie since I was a kid. I think it’s ridiculous that public education systems seem to think and therefore require high level math courses for web design, development and programming degrees. Beyond the simple levels of basic elementary-school algebra – so as to have a better grasp and understanding of functions and the sort – I would say, entirely unnecessary. There is a large difference between studying math and applying math, I think; I like to consider code a creative means to Logic, which is too a passion of mine; and mathematical application is far more flexible, innovative and invigorating than being put in a stuffy atmosphere to be timed at performing redundant formulas that are, for the most part, just theory. No.