Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What would it take to build a live bracket that people can vote on week by week? Reply To: What would it take to build a live bracket that people can vote on week by week?

Senff
Participant

Oh….with Drupal, that’s an additional level of difficulty. I consider myself very experienced, and I’m very comfortable with things like WordPress. However, last year I had a job that involved working with Drupal a lot, and I just couldn’t get my head wrapped around it. Tried for 6 months. It just didn’t happen. Quit my job.

Not trying to demotivate you of course. Just saying that working with Drupal is not easy, and to learn to build a widget/bracket/thing like this in the span of just 2 weeks will be an enormous challenge.

You may be able to deliver, and you’ll learn a lot, but I’m not sure if you’d come up with a good, robust, working solution. Two weeks just isn’t enough.

You can learn how to drive a car in a day, but all you really learn is how to operate it. To become a good driver, will take months of practice. And it’s a bit of the same here: you may be able to learn how to work with databases and PHP within those two weeks, but to do it properly, will take much longer.

Another thing to consider is that there already are modules that do what you want, most likely. So instead of reinventing the wheel, maybe it would make sense to look into existing solutions, use that and then maybe tweak those a bit?