Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other case in Reply To: case in

theacefes
Participant

I work primary in the .net stack. I have a CS background. I learned to develop using and reading CamelCase so I never understand the whole “it’s hard to read” reasoning. Maybe if you didn’t learn to program while using it – I don’t know.

My job requires me to work with a large group of engineers who have different specialties. Their primary languages are C# and JS. They use camel case in all of their class names, variables, functions, etc. For me to exclusively use hyphens/underscores in CSS or HTML would make 0 sense from an organizational standards perspective, especially when it comes to onboarding new people and making sure the standards are followed. Maybe if you’re freelancing or working alone or on an island away from other developers touching your code it makes sense to come up with your own standards but for me anyway, consistency is super important when a large group of people are involved.

Not to mention that Visual Studio doesn’t do the whole “double click” magic on hyphenated names – over time that can be a real slowdown. Not all of us use Sublime because we have to work the full stack and we aren’t always on a LAMP stack and require more advanced intellisense.

This is just my personal preference from my experience. It obviously won’t work for everyone.

Advice? Are you working alone on this code? Do what works for you. Are you not working alone on the code? Do what will make development more efficient and consistent for your team. Don’t get stuck on what some third-party framework likes to do if it doesn’t work for you.