Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Why margin settings in a contained section affect the containing section? Reply To: Why margin settings in a contained section affect the containing section?

spz1st
Participant

Hope there’re W3C members here who may read my posts and forward my proposals to the committee for consideration.

The margin collapse issue’s not a big problem as the width/height issue. Now I know (thanks for the help I got here) that I can add a border (with the same color as the margin if so desired) to get exact what I want if needed. But with the width/height issue, sometimes (quite often) I just could not get exact what I wanted without using javascript. For example, if I have two divs laid next to each other horizontally. the width of the left div is set to, say 25% and the right one 75%. Now if I add a margin to one of them, the total width would exceed 100% and a scrollbar will be created (if I force the two divs still to be aligned next to each other horizontally) even though no content going beyond the edge of the window, making page viewers wonder why there’s a scrollbar for some white space on right. To prevent the scrollbar, I can reduce the percentage a little bit for one of the divs. But this will certainly result in the two divs not covering the page entirely except when the window happens to be at a certain width.