Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What is the timeframe to be proficient in HTML/CSS/Javascript? Reply To: What is the timeframe to be proficient in HTML/CSS/Javascript?

Alen
Participant
  1. I’ve been doing this for years and I’ve seen many changes to this industry. There’s no easy answer to this since everything changes so rapidly and there’s always something new to learn. I would say your overall experience is determining factor. I don’t put too much on the number of years, as things change, some of the old mentality is hard to let go. So I’m tempted to say that if you’re a new comer you might be at an advantage. But years do play a decent factor when you take into account all the problems/solutions you’ll come across. Repetition, repetition, repetition… only way to get good at anything.
  2. Follow best practices in all languages plus follow coding standards. Read The Clean Coder, PDF and Clean Code, PDF. Establish your own standards, rules to follow, etc., so your results can be predictable, essentially making you more efficient.
  3. 1-2 hours per day, or 4-8… I’d say learn at your own pace. I don’t think there’s a magic number. Just read, watch, listen whenever you have time or feel motivated.
  4. This is a super weird question. Learn what tags should be used for what and use them that way when you need them.
  5. Related to previous question, still weird but see resources bellow…
  6. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Also… See bellow…

Resources:

1. Learn to Code HTML & CSS
  2. Learn to Code Advanced HTML & CSS
  3. Learn CSS Layout
  4. Free JS Books
  5. You Don’t Know JavaScript

That should get you started. If you are a visual learner (like myself) don’t forget to search YouTube for some awesome free videos.

Hope that helps,
-Alen