Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress – Hide posts based on custom date field Reply To: WordPress – Hide posts based on custom date field

Senff
Participant

If the date is a custom field, and you want to show posts based on the value of that custom field (= nothing to do with the publication date), you’ll have to filter by that using something like this:

$myposts = query_posts (array(
'orderby'=>'meta_value',
'meta_key'=>'my-custom-date-field',
'order'=>'asc'
)
);

while ( have_posts() ) : the_post();

echo '-'.the_title().'-'.get_field('my-custom-date-field').'<br>'; 

endwhile;   

wp_reset_query();

This will just do a query of all your posts and sort them based on the value of the custom field “my-custom-date-field” (from old to more recent).

Next step: to only show posts that have a custom date value that comes after today’s date, you have to include a meta query within your query:

$myposts = query_posts (
    array(
        'orderby'=>'meta_value',
        'order'=>'asc',

'meta_query'=> array(
            array(
                'key'=>'my-custom-date-field',
                'value'=>date('Ymd'),
                'compare' => '>'
            )
        )

)
);

And then finally, in order to filter it out to show only posts that have a date value that is between today and 14 days from now:

$myposts = query_posts (
    array(
        'orderby'=>'meta_value',
        'order'=>'asc',

'meta_query'=> array(
            array(
                'key'=>'my-custom-date-field',
                'value' => array(date('Ymd'), date('Ymd', strtotime('14 days'))),
                'compare' => 'BETWEEN'
            )
        )

)
);

Make sure that the date format of your custom field matches the date format of your query (in this case Ymd).