Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] styling with an identifiers, dividers and text instead of an img Reply To: [Solved] styling with an identifiers, dividers and text instead of an img

drone4four
Participant

I am having trouble grasping Paulie_D’s final point. Paulie_D wrote:

To properly achieve your proposed layout semantically and using the ‘correct’ elements is actually one of the problems we see quite often asked out…it’s essentially a ‘print’ layout and we’re only just getting to the stage where we can replicate a lot of that…and we’re not there yet.

So are you saying that using a span as I have is what most web designers use even though it’s unhelpful to visitors who have to use a screen reader? Are you saying that web designers are always asking for a better way of going about coding floated span menus and web developers aren’t there yet? I find it hard to believe that w3c haven’t figured out best practices. I am pretty sure I’ve completely misunderstood what you meant. I am at a loss here. Can you please elaborate on what you meant?

And how could I approach my html and css without using a span? Is there a better way?