Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript I can't figure out why a JS text scroller isn't working. Reply To: I can't figure out why a JS text scroller isn't working.

Anonymous
Inactive

Hi Chromawoods,

I appreciate your reply and have looked at your coding, and copied and pasted it. I also manipulated the code to slow down the scroll time and was successful in that, but there seems to be an awful lot of JS to it. I’m not well acquainted with more than the basic JS, and it’s easy for me to get overwhelmed. Is there a pared down version?

Regarding the px, I read about that at a number of sites and tried to ad it per the various site recommendations, all seem to have a different answer for the same problem, but none work. Anyway, it seems the standard is + “px”.

As for “DOCTYPE” I’ve used strict and the scroll still doesn’t run, and I’ve used loose and the scroll runs but the page loses cohesion. I’ve tried different DOCTYPES and the only thing I’ve found is <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> which runs the scroll but the page loses cohesion.

I’ve been over page after page on Google searching for “javascript scroller not working doctype”, “doctype javascript conflicts” and variations thereof, and I see plenty of responses, but no solutions. I realize this script is ancient, and if there is something else that does the same thing, and that actually works, with little coding, that’s fine.

In any event, this is the closest I have come, but again, no DOCTYPE in the code, just a <html> tag.

What are the pitfalls if I take the <!DOCTYPE HTML> out of the text and just have <html>?