Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Best way to practice Reply To: Best way to practice

nixnerd
Participant

What about bootstrap or a grid layout?

Hand-roll your own:

https://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/115-dont-overthink-it-grids/

a working knowledge of linux and the command line will really help you (since the vast majority of web servers are linux).

I wish I could upvote this. The CLI or terminal or bash or zsh or shell (whatever you want to use/call it) is so important in coding. There is not a more powerful tool that has ever existed in the world of computing. Period. It may not seem like it, but I swear on my life it is true. There’s nothing more powerful and more ubiquitous than a command line. They’re everywhere. And when you move on to an unmanaged VPS for your awesome new webapp, that will be your only option.

I manage files in my terminal. I run git commands in my terminal. I update/upgrade my system and install software via the terminal. I just recently started listening to music and coding in my terminal. Hell, as soon as I take the time to get my IRC client setup, I’ll be chatting in my terminal too. If it weren’t for graphics, I could do all my computing in a terminal and it would be way faster!

I would so highly recommend learning and playing with Linux. It is the ideal development environment IMHO. I cannot think of a better setup for me than what I have. Plus… it’s free. So, it’s got that going for it.

Here’s the highlight reel:

Programming is my second career, and I am self-taught.

Just be aware that diving into wordpress isn’t likely to lead anywhere else: it is a world unto itself, and mostly an “expert beginner”

Don’t look for solutions without explanations: copy+paste might make your code work, but it won’t help you learn anything.

lol, I read that as “dominatrix display”. Wooooooooo…!

So awesome.