Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other you tube video Reply To: you tube video

nixnerd
Participant

Hosting videos on you tube is like they are more vulnerable to losing privacy.

Huh? By virtue of them being on the internet at all… you’ve already lost your privacy. I’m not sure I understand that statement.

I gotta agree with the above posts. YouTube is VERY good at hosting and serving up videos really fast and beautifully. That’s because it’s owned by Google. No need to reinvent the wheel in 99% of cases.

There is one fringe case I can think of. About 5 years ago I ran a site that featured a bunch of political/social commentary content. The videos that were edited and uploaded ABSOLUTELY fell within fair use. Be that as it may, YouTube doesn’t really care about your fair use rights… they care about huge corporations that could sue them for hosting copyrighted content. I can’t really blame them. It’s MUUUUUCH easier to piss off and inconvenience Joe Schmo user, than go to bat for him and potentially lose millions.

If you are posting content that anyone could object to our claim you stole, I would advise you host your own video. But… you do so at your own risk. Obviously.