Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Installing Dropbox on Centos 6 Reply To: Installing Dropbox on Centos 6

nixnerd
Participant

With my setup, it also allows collaboration. All I have to do is share it with someone.

Hey @chrisburton, I totally understand if you dig your setup. If that’s what makes you feel comfortable, than by all means use it.

I’m not sure if you know this or not, but git and Github in particular allow for much, much more robust tools than simply sharing a directory or collection of directories. Each person can tweak the code base however they want. They can change the code, write new code, create branches for experimental code, etc. That’s great… but what happens when you want to integrate all this back together? Well, a pull request is created. This allows you to compare the code everyone has written and mitigate issues before it’s all merged together. You can see class incongruencies, etc. BEFORE you bring it all together.

On top of that, Github has an amazing issue tracker. This allows you to keep track of all the changes that need to be made and classify them as bugs, enhancements or whatever else they might be. You can even assign a particular person to each item and make it part of a larger milestone.

Almost all of what I’ve just mentioned are features of Github and not necessarily git. However, these tools in tandom are totally a part to my workflow at this point. I couldn’t live without either.

Plus, version control is much different than hitting save and storing something. It takes a snapshot, evertime you commit. You can always go back to a previous state or even just jack one section of code from a previous state. There is literally no fear that I will ever break anything. If I want to try something crazy, I just create a branch called crazy and go to town.

I’d really recommend giving it a shot. But, I don’t want to complicate your process.

One of the most useful things you can do with Github is keep all your config files in one place. This is huge for the Linux people who constantly tweak their systems. Having version control on dotfiles is absolutely awesome. I can roll back changes on anything, anytime I want.

Gists are also awesome for bits of code you use constantly and want to have available anywhere. This is a feature I don’t use a ton but is quite handy when you need it.