I had a weird problem this week where some mobile devices just weren't picking up on some CSS that was clearly linked to and loading on the vast majority of other browsers. It wasn't user agent based (I tried faking it). It wasn't screen size based. It was the device itself somehow. Turns out, I'm an idiot. I was doing this to @import the CSS:

@import "css/style.css";

Because, that's how you do it in Sass or LESS. Turns out that actually works in CSS in most browsers, but it's incorrect of course. This is correct:

@import url("css/style.css");

I could have fixed it by doing it correctly, but instead I fixed it by not using and @import which is pretty much always bad. Much better to get the CSS right in that stylesheet.

Update: Not using url() is valid per the spec, but tell that to some mobile browsers! (Thx Tab Atkins)

I've been bug fixing galore all week on this new design and I suspect there are many more weeks to come where most of my day is improving this design.

I turned on Twitter Cards data (about), as part of Joost De Valk's awesome SEO Plugin for WordPress. We'll see if they start working, that'd be kinda neat. I still think Twitter is awesome even though this is sad to me.

I've been spending my evenings preparing my brand new talk and workshop for BD Conf. They are both going to be about "A Web Designer's Workflow" and draw heavily upon my recent experience redesigning this site.

I changed over the video hosting for The Lodge videos over to Vimeo Pro. I'm hoping it is basically faster, provides a nicer player, supports more devices, and all while staying very high quality. The only hitch in the giddyup so far is that the Vimeo player is having trouble on the Kindle Fire and a few other Android tablets. I'm hoping this can be worked out.

CodePen is now on some big new fancy servers thanks to Tim Sabat, our server guy. In theory these bad boys will be scaleable for us forever.