I’m going to start a new style of blog post around here called CSS-Tricks Chronicle. It’s going to be a (probably) weekly roundup of all the relevant happenings around the site and stuff I’m doing. Kind of a throwback to the spirit of blogging. It will give me a good home to link up interesting stuff that I didn’t otherwise have a good home for. I’ll use roman numerals to number them because they are cool and go well with the also-cool word “Chronicle.”
- I just did a screencast (it’s been too long!) all about Creating and Using a Custom Icon Font. It’s all about how icon fonts are awesome and you can build a custom one from multiple different sets or even vectors you create yourself. Then use them easily and efficiently.
- The idea for that screencast came from the brand new ShopTalk Show site design. There are icons in use all over. Mostly from Entypo, but also little state icons from StateFace and a UK icon from GeoBats. We put them together with IcoMoon. As I type we just finished up a brand new show with Matt Mullenweg.
- We started sending email notifications on CodePen. In designing the emails, I took a “Mobile Everywhere” approach. Meaning, the emails are designed for a small screen (no clutter, just the important information) then serve that exact same (small) layout to everyone.
- I just sent out the seventh update to the Kickstarter backers for the big v10 redesign. We’re looking to be right on time launching in September. There will be more screencasts related to this redesign than there are in the entire videos archive now (!).
- This coming Tuesday I’ll presenting at the Responsive Web Design Summit (online). I’m doing a talk about web performance. I’ve given a shorter version of it before, so this weekend I’ll be working on fleshing it out a bit.
Awesome idea! I was thinking about doing the same about my work and freelancer job as well. I’m wiling to read your chronicles.
the chroni(WHAT)cles of CSS-Tricks!
Cool stuff, the Shop Talk design is stellar
Excellent – Cheers Chris!
Awesome idea! I’m wiling to read your chronicles.
I very interested in css.
Hey Chris, This is a great addition to your blog, and a nice roundup. I was wondering if there’s still anyway to be part of the kickstarter project? .. I really wanted to become a backer when it was open but unfortunately didn’t have enough money. Now I do I’d love to join, is it really completely closed?
Don’t quote me but I’m sure I once saw a comment from Chris saying the videos would be available in a members section on the site?
Which I hope is true, I also missed out on the kickstarter and would have loved to have backed, so now I’m waiting for the next move!
Another possibility to use icon fonts instead of a graphic: Country flags. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10213336/uk-flag/test.html
Whats the news on late access to the kickstarter project? Any options?
So what you’re saying is, this is history and we’re a part of it?! I’m in keep ’em coming!
Sweet idea. Keep up the good work Chris, you’re doing an amazing job for everyone. :)
Nice, I like the idea of a weekly roundup. The new ShopTalkShow website looks amazing by the way!
I completely missed the boat on the kickstarter installments. Am I out of luck? :(
Nice. I like css trick very much!
@chris I enjoy the irony:
the rwd summit site that you linked to.. Is not rwd.
sent from my mobile device.
sounds interesting :) we are wating for it @Chris
Happy birthday, I quite admire you. I wanted to ask where I could find these “chronicles” for free.
Hi Chris. I’d have loved to be in on the Kickstarter project but missed the boat. Is there any chance (as people above are asking) of opening it up again for new backers? Even add an extra little bit to the fee if you like, to penalise us for missing the boat when it sailed?
Hopefully there can be a way in.