It's just a word to evoke the idea that serving as much as you can statically while using client-side code and hitting serverless APIs for any needs after that.
Say you have an address that your user typed in, like 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC, USA, and now you need more information about it. Maybe you need the proper country code. Maybe you need the latitude and longitude. Maybe you need the postal code.
positionstack is an API that does just that.
It works in reverse, too. So say you've got latitude and longitude, you might want to find out what is at that exact spot. You … Read article
I recently started drawing on my iPad using the Procreate app with Apple Pencil. I’m enjoying the flexibility of drawing this way. What usually keeps me from painting at home are basic things, like setup, cleaning brushes, proper ventilation, and other factors not really tied to the painting itself. Procreate does a pretty nice job of emulating painting and drawing processes, but adding digital features like undo/redo, layers, and layer effects.… Read article
hsl(120, 100%, 40%)
Hue isn't intuitive, but it's not that weird. You take a trip around the color wheel from 0 to 360. Saturation is more obvious where 0% has all the color sucked out, like grayscale, and 100% is fully rich color at … Read article
I love stuff like this.
- The Modern Lovers, a rock band in the 70's, play a show in Boston, probably having some poster of their own for the show.
- Mike Joyce is inspired by the music and combines his love of it with the design style of Swiss Modernism to create a new poster for it.
- Pete Barr is inspired by Mike's Swissted project and animates the design for it, giving it a ton of new life.
Pavithra Kodmad asked people for recommendations on what they thought were some of the most timeless articles about web development that have changed their perspective in some way. Fun! I'm gonna scour the thread and link up my favorites (that are actually articles, although not all of them are super directly related to web dev).… Read article
- Jason Lengstorf and Zach Leatherman did a Learn with Jason episode on it.
- Reginald Hunt has a big ol' guide on it.
- Phil Hawksworth has all these starters for it, like EleventyOne and ElevenTail.