Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

You are your hardest client! Thoughts?

• # June 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm

For me, it’s really just reinging in that desire to rip everything apart. At some point, usually 9-12 months, I just start to get so embarrassed to show my site to people (even though they all probably think it’s fine), I just HAVE to change it.

But the cool thing is if you wait, you accumulate a ton of great ideas you can execute all at once instead of implementing all these ideas as kind of a frankenstein approach. It just feels a lot more unified to me when I wait and execute a complete overhaul every year or so.

What I also do is make sure whatever look and feel I’m going after also translates well to my print material. I have things like a project start and completion briefs, marketing material, business cards, etc. All of that stuff gets updated as well and it’s all one big push and I print my new material each year as well.

On the CMS discussion – I’ve been messing around with Kirby and I think I’m going to start using it for smaller sites. I’ve used Perch before, but I definitely agree super small projects that don’t get updated often just don’t need the heavy lifting of MySQL. It’s becoming pretty clear which projects I have best fit a WordPress architecture, and they are sites where multiple people will be involved in writing articles, there is member management, payment needs or basic ecommerce and other things that just are not that viable without a framework. I still maintain WP is by far the best choice among the CMS crowd that has that functionality (Joomla, Drupal, ETC).

# June 5, 2013 at 6:34 pm

@JohnMotylJr – I’ve built and torn down something like 5 personal blogs in the past year alone. So allow me to add my voice to everyone else here – you are certainly not alone.

However, I think at a certain point the only way to move forward is to stop destroying everything and starting from scratch. Learn to be comfortable with being unsatisfied and take incremental steps toward improvement.

As far as the CMS discussion goes, I recently abandoned WordPress in favor of [Jekyll](http://jekyllrb.com/ “Jekyll”). From what I’ve read of Kirby the two are very similar but Jekyll is free, open source, and integrated with GitHub pages. As a programmer, I actually started using Jekyll to learn git, but I can understand if you design guys aren’t interested in that. I’d also check out [Octopress](http://octopress.org/ “Octopress”) if you’re interested in Jekyll.

# June 5, 2013 at 7:19 pm

> From what I’ve read of Kirby the two are very similar but Jekyll is free, open source, and integrated with GitHub pages.

Kirby is open-source and I prefer to pay people for doing good work when I use their product. Although, I understand why others feel different about this.

I do like the Github hosting they have for Jekyll. However, I don’t find using the command prompt all that simple to work with so I decided not to use it. Plus, I prefer the Panel that Kirby offers.

# June 6, 2013 at 5:30 am

@chrisburton – what’s the URL to your blog? I would love to take a look, from the screenshot it looks very clean, I like it!

# June 6, 2013 at 8:51 am

Thanks @Watson90. My site isn’t live just yet. I’ll create a discussion when that time comes, though.

http://chrisburton.me

# June 6, 2013 at 9:27 am

Look forward to it :)

# June 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

>Kirby is open-source and I prefer to pay people for doing good work when I use their product. Although, I understand why others feel different about this.

However the drawback is paying for something and then getting no responses with regards to any issues you come across. As has happened with Kirby, lot’s of questions in the support forums unanswered. They need to improve this area, as it’s a nice little tool.

# June 6, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Keep in mind that the forum questions are more related on how one can achieve something rather than issues with Kirby. Not that there isn’t any.

Also, Bastian recently added the “solved” feature on those forums. So I’m sure many questions won’t be marked as such.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".