Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Wrapper Issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tobeeornot

How would I get the wrapper to run through the whole page (including header and footer) to contain content at a fixed width but without disturbing the existing layout of the header and footer?

Jsfiddle

Jsfiddle Full Page

Paulie_D

It looks like you have the layout you are after.

The header and footer span the whole page and your content area is centered and has a max-width.

I don’t understand your problem.

tobeeornot

@Paulie_D

Yep, the layout is right. The issue is whether I need to have a wrapper that runs through the whole page to support content in the header and the footer so it matches the dimensions of the main content.

Does that make sense?

tobeeornot

If you look at Josh Hibbert’s site, he has a wrapper that runs through the whole page, and does so before the header begins.

Paulie_D

I think I get it. The content of the header and footer is also going to be limited to 1140 or so, is that it?

In that case, no…and yes. You don’t wrap everything just add divs inside the header-container and footer-container, limit them to the specified width and center them. That way your header-container and footer-container become…erm, containers. :)

Like I did with the header here: http://jsfiddle.net/Paulie_D/nLHs8/2/embedded/result/

tobeeornot

@Paulie_D Yea, that makes sense making nested containers. For some reason, I get obsessed by trying to fit everything within the least amount of containers as possible.

Thanks a lot. Sometimes I feel confused by what appears to be simple issues.

@tobeeornot Realistically, I should have used the body element for that wrapper.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.