Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Works in IE6 but not IE8? haha

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AshtonSanders
    Participant

I’ve been happy with IE7 in general for being much closer to FF than IE6, but I just thought I’d share this little piece of awesome.

This website: http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/ works perfectly in IE6, IE7, FF2, FF3, etc., but it isn’t even centered in IE8. (The sidebar was also too wide for the space this morning, but I’ve already fixed that.)

I’ll figure this out when I have a second, just thought I’d share a little bit of hatred for IE8… :twisted: I couldn’t imagine that IE8 would be a step back. I feel a rant coming…

apostrophe
    Participant

Your centering issue in ie8 is being caused by this line at the top of the page

Code:
    AshtonSanders
    Participant

Sweet. Thanks.

Any idea wtf that is? (I inherited it, I swear lol)

apostrophe
    Participant

It seems that anything on the page before the doctype throws ie8 into quirks mode.
    Was a thread on here last week (that I can’t find now :D ) that had the same problem and it turned out it was caused by a comment at the top of the page, so as soon as I went to view source on your page I knew that was it. I did a quick search and found a thread on the killersites forums where a couple of people mentioned that line being inserted by html tidy.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Sweet… I do love how IE8 has that little button saying "We realize the rules we made up breaks most websites so you can click here to pretend to use IE7 for a while…" :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.