Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

WordPress/WampServer Page Error

• # January 7, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Question: I am using WampServer and I feel like I encountered this before, but I can not find the thread that dealt with it previously. I am running WordPress on my WampServer. I create a new page, add a title, make sure the URL address is correct, and then I publish the page. Now, it publishes just fine, but if I try to view it, it tells me this:

Not Found
    The requested URL localhost/wordpress/feel-good-candy/ was not found on this server.

And yet I just created it. I feel like this is something extremely simple to fix. Sorry if it is. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me!

Edit: Apparently, you have to go to WampServer’s icon in the taskbar, click on Apache > Apache Modules, and finally select “rewrite_module.” And it fixed it. What am I actually telling my computer to do when I select this?

# January 7, 2013 at 3:30 pm

@mintertweed To allow rewrites and pretty URL’s.

# January 7, 2013 at 3:59 pm

“What am I actually telling my computer to do when I select this?”

localhost/wordpress/feel-good-candy/

The directory above doesn’t actually exist on your server. WordPress will produce a file called .htaccess that has a series of instructions to turn that URL into something that wordpress can understand as an instruction to show a particular page. However, to work it needs a module called “rewrite_module” to be available.

If you disabled pretty URLs, the address would be something along the lines of:

localhost/wordpress/index.php?page_id=5

Much less memorable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".