Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress Vs Traditional Coding

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    xcom

Hello Everyone.

Currently, I am building sites using visual studio however I would like to know more about WordPress and why people use it.

I would like some advice please, is WordPress any good for amateur developers. What are the advantage over traditional coding.

Many Thanks

chrisburton
    Participant

> WordPress any good for amateur developers

I would say so. That’s how I learned the basics and benefits of PHP over static HTML. Although, I think a CMS like [Kirby](http://getkirby.com) is much easier to grasp for those just starting out. However, I still prefer Kirby over WordPress.

xcom

Currently I’m using .net, would you say that a CMS like WordPress would save on a site development time?

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m not familiar with .NET nor do I know how large your site is.

xcom

Thank you for responding.

Yes I am currently using C# however considering using PHP. I need to learn the differences and if one has any advantages over the other. Seem to be more advice available for PHP development. I’m a little confused to be honest, not sure if I should stay focused with .net and carry on my development or switch to PHP.

Many thanks

camdixon
    Participant

I would venture to say they are different for sure, but there is a market for both.
    I am still in the process of learning WP as well, but I have some basic sites done in it. It would have been easier for me to learn it if I had hand coded 1-2 sites in html / css first, then moved them to WP. It wouldn’t have been so confusing.

I think it would be good to learn php in your case as well.
    To me the differences are php is easy to pick up, but I know due to flexibility it’s great to use for small / medium size sites.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.