Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

WordPress Vs Traditional Coding

• # May 20, 2013 at 7:13 am

Hello Everyone.

Currently, I am building sites using visual studio however I would like to know more about WordPress and why people use it.

I would like some advice please, is WordPress any good for amateur developers. What are the advantage over traditional coding.

Many Thanks

# May 20, 2013 at 7:59 am

> WordPress any good for amateur developers

I would say so. That’s how I learned the basics and benefits of PHP over static HTML. Although, I think a CMS like [Kirby](http://getkirby.com) is much easier to grasp for those just starting out. However, I still prefer Kirby over WordPress.

# May 20, 2013 at 8:09 am

Currently I’m using .net, would you say that a CMS like WordPress would save on a site development time?

# May 20, 2013 at 9:00 am

I’m not familiar with .NET nor do I know how large your site is.

# May 20, 2013 at 11:11 am

If you’re using .net, then WordPress will not save you any development time, as WordPress (and I believe Kirby?) runs on PHP, and I’m at least expecting that you’re using C# with your development.

What WordPress and other CMS:es have going for them in development time is that they, for instance, have a built-in backend that allows for posting content with relative ease, which is what makes them Content Manager Systems.

Also, coding using WordPress _is_ traditional coding, it’s just using another kind of framework. It’s all a balance between writing your own nuts and bolts (and thus knowing they fit you to a T) and accepting the idiosyncrasies of other people’s coding, so you don’t need to write the base.

I hope this answers your question, if it just muddled the waters, just ask more questions. Your query is quite broad, after all.

# May 20, 2013 at 11:27 am

Thank you for responding.

Yes I am currently using C# however considering using PHP. I need to learn the differences and if one has any advantages over the other. Seem to be more advice available for PHP development. I’m a little confused to be honest, not sure if I should stay focused with .net and carry on my development or switch to PHP.

Many thanks

# May 21, 2013 at 2:08 am

Depends to a certain extent on what you want to accomplish. There’s a lot of call for both PHP/WordPress coders and .net coders, so I think you’ll be able to find job either way.

Are you wanting to freelance? If so, I would probably aim for picking up a CMS that combines relative ease to theme with a decent backend (I feel WordPress fulfills that, others who use Kirby can probably give their input, there’s probably something like that for .net as well).

How advanced are you in your .net programming? If nothing else, do a test project in PHP with WordPress, just to get a feel for it. Read up on best practices, get an idea on how to use it, and then decide whether you prefer one over the other.

# May 21, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I would venture to say they are different for sure, but there is a market for both.
    I am still in the process of learning WP as well, but I have some basic sites done in it. It would have been easier for me to learn it if I had hand coded 1-2 sites in html / css first, then moved them to WP. It wouldn’t have been so confusing.

I think it would be good to learn php in your case as well.
    To me the differences are php is easy to pick up, but I know due to flexibility it’s great to use for small / medium size sites.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".