Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

WordPress vs joomla vs drupal ?

• # January 12, 2009 at 7:44 am

Wordpress vs Joomla vs Drupal ? Which has more jobs opportunity? which i need to learn to get a High Salary Jobs?

Rob
    # January 12, 2009 at 8:15 am

again that all depends…

To be honest once you have learnt one system, you can apply your knowledge quite easily to others. I focus on wordpress, but using what I have learnt to develop for wordpress, I can develop themes now for drupal. It takes a bit of getting used to, but with your foundation of how to design/develop a template – its easyer than starting from nothing.

Pay wise, again that depends on the company… if you are looking to get hired by someone I would look at learning the language behind the CMS – so like PHP/ASP… A lot of large web design companies have their own CMS that they constantly develop so if you were looking to get employed by one of them, you would probably find yourself using their system, or if its even more bespoke – they would just have the PHP team write it for them.

The best thing you can do, if you want a high paid job, is find where the industry is lacking in workers, then train in that. Find the most advertised job that never seems to get filled and fill it.

If you want on the other hand want to do something you enjoy doing… focus on what you love – and develop that. Then fit your career around it…

Money isnt everything… no point being stuck in a job you dont enjoy – been there, done that…

# January 12, 2009 at 9:13 am

I was talking about only Theme Development not for serverside coding. Which cms themes are in more demand and more selling value and using by most development houses

Rob
    # January 12, 2009 at 11:33 am
    "jitendra" wrote:
    I was talking about only Theme Development not for serverside coding. Which cms themes are in more demand and more selling value and using by most development houses

Yea like I said, in a development house – you might use all of the, or none of them… As a lot of the bigger development houses have their own CMS, written in house.

Wordpress is probably the most popular all rounder, but its classed in the industry as more of a blogging platform…

The issue is – it all depends on the company… Its better, if you want a job with a developing house, to get a good overview of all of them – but focus on your languages – HTML/CSS/PHP are probably the main with javascript for thrown in for good measure.

If you can demonstrate your ability in these, through qualifications and experiance – im sure you will have no problems getting a "high paid" job…

On the other hand, you could always apply for a junior role and work your way up.

# January 12, 2009 at 1:25 pm

jitendra, the last few topics you’ve created have troubled me. They all seem to be aimed at making money, and not actually creating solid work. I’m all for helping people that are starting out, hell, I even enjoy it. I’ve got people that are still helping me, so I know how important it is.

I don’t, however, like being asked "How do I make the most money as quickly as I can?" Most people here do this for a living because it is their passion, not simply to make a quick buck.

Now…

WP v Joomla v Drupal. You need to know them all. A client may only need a simple CMS like WP, another client may need something more robust like Joomla or Drupal.

At my office, we have our own in house CMS.

Also, learning a CMS will get you nowhere in getting a "high salary job." Having actual designing and coding (HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, etc) will get you the good paying jobs.

# January 12, 2009 at 9:23 pm
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    I don’t, however, like being asked "How do I make the most money as quickly as I can?" Most people here do this for a living because it is their passion, not simply to make a quick buck.

You make a great point here Doc. I had a similar conversation with one of my fellow class mates a few weeks ago about why we were in the Graphic Design program. Yes, I know that graphic design may not apply to this conversation but talking money and enjoyment does. It seems as though, in my small search, that employers are willing to pay (salary) for those that are truly in grained into what they do. Rather than having some one there to just ask for the Big Check knowing that they will so leave when a better offer comes around. At any rate, this is my 2 cents…..

# March 16, 2011 at 10:42 pm

thats right!
    i see this:

# March 16, 2011 at 10:42 pm

when they say code is poetry, it HAS to be a passion!

# March 16, 2011 at 10:44 pm

sorry i just realised the posts were from 2009 oops!!well i guess it applies as much to now as two years ago!

# March 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Hey I see that this was necro’d, but I thought something was interestingly said back in ’09:

“A client may only need a simple CMS like WP, another client may need something more robust like Joomla or Drupal”

Does that really show how WordPress has grown or what? Personally, working with Joomla (yet to have a client that’s asked for Drupal development) I haven’t seen many advancements that bring it a step above WP’s current iteration in terms of features, benefits, plugins or support.

# March 17, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I know, right!? I’ve pretty much moved to WordPress as my only CMS.

# March 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm

another WP “newb” here to hijack this necro’d thread…heh

how much difference is there between WP and drupal/joomla? Does knowledge in WP templatizing extend very far into the other worlds? Are they all basically built the same (i.e. componentized PHP)?

# March 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm

The difference is pretty heavy imo. Joomla quite frankly is a pain in the ass work in. I’ve done a *little* work in Drupal, but since I’ve yet to have a client actually want something built, I haven’t been motivated to completely build anything in it. Yes knowledge in one gives you an understanding of the others, but the way they interact is completely different.

The power, customization and scope of the WP loop I think is what makes WP really unique, but it’s also a winner to me because how how flexible individual pages can be while still maintaining the framework. At least for me, those two things have made life much easier for both myself and my clients who are on the platform. Obviously the WP evangelists on this can give you 100 more reasons what the differences are, but I don’t think I want to write a novel :)

# March 17, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Forgot to mention Modx also – nice CMS, but I’m not the biggest fan, but I don’t begrudge anyone from using it. Movable Type also has built up some steam, but I think it’s pretty under supported thus far.

# March 17, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Definitely prefer WP, but thought this was an interesting article… Joomla And WordPress: A Matter Of Mental Models – Smashing Magazine http://bit.ly/fdqG50

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".