Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress Theme already exists on website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    smithaa99

So I’ve been following Chris Coyier’s tutorial "Building a Website", and I have found that his uploading of Kailin Yong’s information from his former blog, as opposed to creating entirely new content, has got me very confused. I am attempting to make a WordPress blog for my roommate, and I have to create it from scratch. Subsequently, my roommate’s host actually has WordPress already installed as an app, so now I just need to get the data from my HTML and CSS files into the blog pages (PHP WordPress files).

Now, let me pose my main questions:

When you create a new page via the WORDPRESS installation on your host, does it always save as a PHP file, or can you change the file extension?

Secondly, does anyone have a link to a video tutorial about creating a WordPress blog from scratch, which is more to the point than the one that I’m using?

You can e-mail me at [email protected] or through the forum.

Thank you,
    Adam

smithaa99

Thanks Robski,

Basically, what Chris does in the video is imports musician Kailin Yong’s OLD WordPress data to his NEW WordPress site. Then the pages all show up on there – Biography, Discography, etc. So he’s kind of left me in the exhaust here, whereas I am making a BRAND NEW site for my musician friend, who has NEVER HAD a WordPress blog.

So what I’m left with is a bunch of blank pages in WordPress.

Can you change file extensions in WordPress somehow?

Thanks for the video link, the big thing here is, I’m going in to work for my CSS/PHP "apprenticeship" tomorrow (I’m paid), and I want to show this guy that I can create a WordPress blog on my own.

TheDoc

The extension of the page doesn’t matter as you can change how it is displayed to users in WordPress’ options.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Changi … Your_Pages

More on permalinks:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

If you don’t have any content in your fresh WordPress install, but you do have content in your old sites files, there is no way to "import" that into WordPress. You’ll need to use the WordPress admin, create a new page, paste in the content, and publish the page. WordPress pages aren’t kept as literally PHP files sitting on your server, all that content is inside the database and displayed dynamically through templates.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.