Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

wordpress template to a non wordpress page

• # February 15, 2013 at 9:41 am

How can I change a ThemeForest template in dreamweaver to a non wordpress page?
    jbechdel@comcast.net

# February 15, 2013 at 9:53 am

You are going to have to be more specific as I’m not familiar with TF templates.

Are you saying that the template is PHP template and does not include HTML/CSS/JS?

# February 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

Thanks for the speedy reply. No it’s a wordpress template and I want to use the layout but don’t want it to be wordpress.

# February 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

If you’re looking to convert it into a raw HTML template, be prepared to dig in. You’ll have to remove all of the WP functions and PHP. Depending on the complexity of the theme and your knowledge of PHP / WordPress, could amount to a ton of hours to get what you want.

Explaining what you intend to convert it to and use it for would definitely help us answer your question.

# February 15, 2013 at 10:47 am

I still don’t understand. When you say it’s a WP template what does that mean?

What files do you get?

# February 15, 2013 at 10:51 am

It’s a WordPress template. ThemeForest makes them and I just like the look and feel of it but don’t want wordpress in it. I want to make it a regular html CSS site.

# February 15, 2013 at 10:58 am

@offtheroad, rather than backtracking through Un-WordPress-ing a theme, your time would be better spent designing your own theme inspired by the WordPress theme, IMHO.

As @mcjohnst said, you’d spend more time taking WordPress out of the theme than it would take you to design your own theme.

# February 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

>When you say it’s a WP template what does that mean?

>**It’s a WordPress template.**

# February 15, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Thanks all

# February 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm

You could just contact the author of the theme and ask for a HTML version, he might consider selling one if enough people want it.

If not download and run the theme, then just copy the outputted HTML code it creates to use in your non-WP site. You will have to make a helluva lot of changes and strip things out though, as @mcjohnst said.

# February 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm

@Paulie_D WordPress templates usually consist of loops and html (sidebar.php, index.php).

# February 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Going the “View Source -> Select All -> Paste” route is an option. An incredibly dirty option, but one I must shamefully admit I’ve done in the past. Once the bossman hits the printers up for a few hundred flyers with “Visit page.html!” on them, it’s a done deal at that point.

As @patrickzdb said, check with the theme’s support forum and see if an HTML version is available first.

If not, I’d fire up a local install using M/L/WAMP. I would also read the theme’s documentation and import any demo content or data into the theme so you have a good selection of page types available. Many people tend to forget that the demos they see on TF are with as many options and configurables crammed in there as possible.

# February 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm

>WordPress templates usually consist of loops and html (sidebar.php, index.php).

See that’s what I wanted to know. I’m not a WP guy…as you can probably tell.

Odd that they don’t include the basic HTML & CSS though.

# February 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm

One thing you can do is keep it all in PHP and just change things like `< ?php get_header(); ?>` to `< ?php include('header.php'); ?>`.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".