Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress Permalinks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Submerge

Hello,

I have a question regarding using WordPress as a CMS. I have WordPress setup, with the permalinks set to Custom Structure of /%postname%/. I also created a page, called Blog, which I intend to use as my client’s blog. Problem is, I want the blog posts to be permalinked like this ‘/blog/MM/YYYY/post-title’.

Is there any way to set the permalink for posts differently from pages? I see that Chris was able to do it for his client, Foundation Fitness: http://foundationalfitness.com/. Essentially, anything that is related to blogging, should be under the ‘/blog/’ permalink sub-folder.

Also, I see that you can manually set the slug for posts to be like this, but I’m looking for a solution that will do this automatically.

PS. In addition, I have Setting > Reading > Front page displays set to:

x A static page (select below)
    * Front page: [Home] -A page I created for the website homepage
    * Posts page: [Blog]

Submerge

Sorry for the double post, but taking a further look, could the Optional options under the Permalink structure have any means for solving this issue? They are:

Category base[/list:u]
      Tag base[/list:u]

Setting these to ‘blog’ could be a solution, but still, what about the post-titles?

Submerge

I may have found the solution, but would like someone to verify if this is the correct procedure. And that is setting the permalink Custom Structure to: /blog/%postname%/

For some reason, new pages don’t take on the ‘/blog/’ prefix for the permalink. I don’t know why, but if someone can explain it, that would be appreciated.

:mrgreen:

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

"Pages" automatically have the slug name as the permalink only. like /%page-name%/. No matter what the setting, that’s what pages use. Changing the setting only affects Posts, so you should be able to do exactly what you want to do no problem.

I recently had a problem with the permalink of a particular page. I had this page called "Projects" with a slug name "projects". As it didn’t have any content I changed its state to draft and made it private. Now afterwards I added a post to it and this time when I published it, it won’t load the template I assigned to it. It would show a normal index structure with a parent directory and the post name.

But if I change the name of the page and the slug name to "Project", everything works fine.. Any idea why this is happening?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.