Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress or Not?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    danielando

G’day everyone, my name is Daniel and I am from Melbourne Australia. This is my first post here. So here we go.

How are designers / developers going about sites at the moment eg. Using WordPress or something similar as a CMS or developing sites that are manually updated via Dreamweaver, FrontPage etc?

Your ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Daniel

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Hey Dan,

Welcome! :D

A lot of designers like the CMS style approach, and wordpress is very popular (personally I love it) – but there is still room for the old school – although the updating is obviously a lot more laborious.

Frontpage IS evil – it can’t be used… *shudders*

It all depends what you want really.

danielando

G’day Rob

I was just using FP as an example, don’t worry I don’t use it !!!!!

What about the Design Process, I am still struggling to get my head around what is the best way to start a design?

Is it best to use a graphics program like Photoshop first and then code it from there, or is it better to code the CSS etc first and then add the graphical elements after that?

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

TheDoc

I suppose it’s a little bit of both.

I always start in Photoshop, but I will have a general grid/layout in mind (how I’m going to divide the divs, etc) while designing. I think you’ll find most people start with the design. It’d be terribly frustrating being forced to confine your design to whatever coding you’ve already done.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I normally sketch a bit on paper first – pretty abstract but I find it gets my juices flowing, plus the computer can be a bit of a distraction…

Then I make it in photoshop/illustrator

Then I slice it up…

Then I code out the XHTML

Then I code the CSS

then I have a website :D

Ninja Clone
    danielando

Thanks for the advice people, much appreciated..

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.