Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress index.php not picking up my style sheet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    CameronDuthie
    Participant

Hi there,

I’ve got this really strange problem, i’ve been working on [this](http://iceukltd.com/ “”) site for a few weeks now without much of a problem. I’m fairly used to working in WordPress but i’ve never come across this problem before.

I was working on the site today and i was pulling in the content from the template files into WordPress so that the client has complete control of the whole site.

I’ve managed to get the markup into wordpress no problem but all of a sudden my footer.php, index.php and contact.php files don’t seem to be pulling their all styles from the stylesheet. It appears to be picking and choosing what styles to add and the googlemaps api doesn’t seem to be working on contact.php anymore.

What’s even stranger is that these .php files haven’t been inputed into WordPress at all. They just all of a sudden stopped working.

I’d love to know if anyone has come across this problem before? And if anyone could lend some assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Cameron

TheDoc

I’m guessing that there is some sort of error in the CSS file. Have you made any changes to it recently?

Also, small little change:

border-top: 2px solid #d6bdc5;
    border-right: none;
    border-bottom: none;
    border-left: none;

Can just be:

border: none;

Or:

Depending if it needs to override anything. Just a fun little optimization tip!

CameronDuthie
    Participant

@TheDoc Thanks for the tips.

I have made some changes to the css file but not to any of the pages that are effected.

It’s really strange.

CameronDuthie
    Participant

I’ve tried,

uninstalling all plugin

resetting the plugin folder

swapping the theme to twenty eleven

None of this seems to help any. It’s so strange how it’s picking up some stylings but not the other.

chrisburton
    Participant
    CameronDuthie
    Participant

@ChristopherBurton Hi there, yeah that’s the site i’m working on. If you scroll down to the bottom you’ll notice that some of the footer styling isn’t there.

The same goes for the ‘News’ page (index.php )and the contact page.

chrisburton
    Participant

What is the footer supposed to look like? According to the Developer Tools in Chrome, there are little to no styles applied.

Can we see your php template files that you’ve changed when the error occurred?

CameronDuthie
    Participant

@ChristopherBurton I know it’s the strangest thing. They are there in the css file and were working perfectly 5 hours ago.

I haven’t actually changed my footer.php file at any point today. Same goes for the index.php file and contact.php but i have changed all my other files relating to this website.

Here’s a [look](http://codepen.io/anon/pen/tcsxo “”) at the footer.php files along with the css.

Watson90

You seem to have;

#footer-wrap {
    background: url(images/footer/footer-wrap.jpg) repeat-x;
    min-width: 960px;
    position: relative;
    text-align: left; }

and then;

#footer-nav ul#footer-ul li.twitter a {
    background: url(“images/footer/bird.png”) no-repeat 0 0; }

Why does the background for the first one not have quotation marks encapsulating the path to the file but the twitter and facebook links do?

CameronDuthie
    Participant

@Watson90 I suppose it’s just down to laziness on my part.

Both methods work fine, but now i’ve made them all them same, thanks for pointing that out.

CameronDuthie
    Participant

I’m considering re-installing wordpress and hopefully that will reset things back to the way they were.

Watson90

Oh right, I see.

It is a really strange one, your twitter bird is showing up at least and that has styling, such a frustrating thing. Especially if it’s making you basically do a fresh install of WordPress.

CameronDuthie
    Participant

@Watson90 i know, i really don’t get it. I’ve never come across this before and it just happened all of a sudden.

I just hope a re-install will work, i’ve basically tried everything i can think of.

Watson90

@CameronDuthie – Good luck, man!

CameronDuthie
    Participant

So after one final check of my files i found that i had missed a out a ‘{‘ on a line of my css which was messing up all the code below it.

Seems so obvious now, i must have missed it on the validator too! Feel like a right idiot but at least it’s fixed! Thanks for all your comments guys!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.