Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End [WordPress] Image slider admin options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    lukewilde

Hey, does anyone know how i can code something into the wordpress admin panel so it’s possible to upload/link to images for the image slider on the home page instead of having them coded into the pages. I have the admin panel made for my theme i just would like to know how to add this function to it.

Thanks,

Luke.

lukewilde

Is there not a way to do this then? searched for a guide for a while and found nothing.

TheDoc

Yea, I’ve searched long and hard for information on this, as well.

I think it would be a really cool advanced section for Digging Into WordPress, @chriscoyier.

jamygolden

@TheDoc yeah, that would be awesome.

@lukewilde
    I’m not too sure exactly how this would be done, but you could have a look at this tutorial and see if it helps you at all.

It looks like you would be able to custom fields which you could place the image url into.

Bob
    lukewilde

jamy that is the tutorial i followed to make my admin panel, just wanted the slider images to be easily edited from the back end for users who wouldn’t know how to change the images if they are just coded into the home page. I guess i can just include a text guide to show them.

Edit; Just saw this http://para.llel.us/theme-graphics/traject-wp/traject-wp-slideshow.jpg

Anyone recognise how he has done this by any chance?

lukewilde

Anyone have any ideas? Also does anyone have a link to a good navigation menu guide? i am trying to get a jquery drop-down menu on my site but all of them code i have tried just doesn’t want to work for me at all.

jamygolden

Try this.

The image you linked to earlier takes me to a 403 Forbidden page.

lukewilde

Oh strange, i can still see the image from that link, it just shows someones admin panel which has all the options for the slider in and also fields for adding image links and what animation for them to have in the slider, not sure what kind of code i would need on the page with the slider to go to the admin panel section and see if there are any images and then display them and to edit the styles of the slider.

Thanks for that link, i will try it out.

lukewilde

Tried your tutorial, i am guessing i will need to do something for it to work with the wordpress list_pages? as i can’t get this to work either.

noahgelman
    Participant

What you could try doing is having a post loop inside your image slider set to display posts only of a “slider” catagory (and your other loops not to display that catagory) and you build the loop to display the post exactly in the format your slider needs to function. That way, when you want to add an image to the slider, you create a new post, click the catagory, click your image, post, and wahla! it’s added the image into the slider. And you can remove images by deleting the post of the image you don’t want.

lukewilde

Not really sure how to build a loop to do that, haven’t tried anything with the loops yet.

noahgelman
    Participant

Chris just did a screencast on the WordPress Loop. You can watch it here:
    https://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/91-the-wordpress-loop/

lukewilde

Ok i have managed to make it work i think, but in the recent posts widget it shows its name which i don’t want it to do is there any way to stop that happening now? Wish i could just find a tutorial to just add this to the admin panel :(

Edit; just came up with the idea of just grabbing the image from the latest portfolio items, think that will work a bit better.

noahgelman
    Participant

There should be an option on the recent posts widget to exclude one or more categories (at least I hope it would), if not, just run your own recent post loop. Sometimes in wordpress in order to do something like this we have to get a bit more down and dirty. It happens sometimes.

Btw, this wordpress post loop slider sounds like a lot of fun to build. I know I’m doing this weekend :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.