Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress Ignores the index.php & uses the page.php instead

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    fs_tigre

Hi,

I’m currently learning to create themes in WP but I’m a little confused. I created my HTML/CSS page and then I started converting it into a WP theme using an empty theme from starkers which contains a lot of pre-made themes like page.php, archives.php, comments.php etc, but I noticed that WP was ignoring the index.php template which should contain the main content and that was driving me crazy so I decided to start from scratch and then I started deleting all templates except the four basic ones (header.php, index.php, sidebar.php and footer.php) and as soon as I deleted them my theme worked just as it should, then I put all the templates back into the theme’s folder and again the page wasn’t behaving as it should, so I started deleting the extra templates one by one to find the one causing the problem and I found that the one causing the problem was the page.php, I deleted only this template and the theme now works just fine. It looks like it was showing the page.php instead of the index.php which doesn’t have a sidebar. The problem is now solved but I would like to know how this happen because now I won’t be able to use the page.php if I would need to. May be I changed the settings in the Admin area to use a different template? If yes, where is this option?

Any idea why or what was causing the problem?

Thanks

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Well, what is actually happening is that the themeing system is working just like it should.

Quick WP theme explanation:

index.php is the LAST RESORT for any page/post/category, etc. If you go to the "Cool" category page (that has the id of 6), the theme will look for themes in this order:

category-cool.php
    category-6.php
    category.php
    archive.php
    index.php

It will go down this list until it finds a template, and then it will use that template.

More detailed information: WordPress Hierarchy

fs_tigre

Thanks a lot! For your reply.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.