Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress Help Needed…Pretty Please :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Watson90

Hi Everyone

I have finally created my first WP powered website and this Saturday I will be making it live! (My first ever online website, so I’m pretty excited!)

I have basically created the website locally on my Windows 7 machine using XAMPP.

My friend/client will be purchasing his hosting the day before we meet up so we definitly have it all set up and ready to go.

I have been looking all over the Internet and now feel comfortable when it comes to exporting the SQL table from PHPMyAdmin and using FileZilla to FTP the files to the server etc.

However, one of the main things I’m struggling to get my head around is can I just copy the local WordPress folder from my machine onto a USB Pen Drive, travel to his house and sort it from his computer? Or do I need to do everything from my Computer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

– Steven

chrisburton
    Participant

@Watson90 All you need is the WordPress folder (or files) and the sql file from when you exported the database. However, when you make it live you will have to change URL’s in the database.

Watson90

Thanks @ChristopherBurton :) yeah I seen that about doing a mass search for local host and changing the URLs to the site domain name.

Thanks for replying man.

chrisburton
    Participant

I only had to a change 1 or 2 URL’s from the database if I remember correctly. Everything else I had to change in the WordPress admin area and the image URL’s from inserting media.

TheDoc

There’s a plugin called Velvet Blues Update URLs that I love using for the URL updating process.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/velvet-blues-update-urls/

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc Once you change the URL’s can you delete the plugin right after?

Watson90

@TheDoc thanks for that! So you definitely recommend using it? Has it ever given you any troubles?

TheDoc

@ChristopherBurton – yup! Just trash it once you’re done.

@Watson90
    – I’ve used it on numerous client sites in preparing for launch. You’ll still have your backup ready to go if there are any troubles (but there won’t be any).

Watson90

I like your certainty @TheDoc

Thanks for your help @JoshWhite, I really can’t wait to get this actually online, it’s crazy how exciting it is for your first time! I just want things to go as smooth as possible so my friend doesn’t think I’m stupid, haha.

Watson90

Sorry, could I also get an insight into this part also?

My friend has a Mac, will this cause any problems? FileZilla is available for a Mac, so hopefully not.

We will be hosting the site through Blue Host, so once we have the hosting is sorted, will I just enter the server details into FileZilla to FTP upload the files?

chrisburton
    Participant

@Watson90

“will I just enter the server details into FileZilla to FTP upload the files?”

Correct. Just go to File > Site Manager and fill out the information shown here. Usually you only have to fill out Host, Port, User and Password.

Watson90

Thanks @ChristopherBurton, I have his website up and running now :)

It weren’t as hard as I thought it would be!

Thanks everyone.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Watson90 Those background images are way too big in file size.

Paulie_D

Yeah…took an age to load.

I ran it through http://www.webpagetest.org/ and it came back with 50s overall.

The images took 30s of that.

Watson90

Oops, do you guys know what size I should crop the images to, say 1024 x 768px?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.