Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress Headers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    djrolstad
    Participant

My website is http://www.meadowbrookglitter.com/meadow and I’m trying to have the slider thats on the homepage only on the homepage, any other page will not have this slider. I was wondering how I would go by doing this. Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Best way do do this is edit the theme files and place your slider inside this php code:

Anything in this area will only display on the home page.

Be sure you place that in a part of the theme that makes sense and wouldn’t break your layout. Most likely somewhere in the header.php file or the page.php file.

Inside that php you can either create the slider yourself, or find a slider plugin that lets you embed your sliders in your theme. Whatever works for you! :)

Hope this helps you out.

djrolstad
    Participant

Thanks that worked! how would you go by changing the css only for the homepage?

Senff
    Participant

If you want to add something on the home page only, I would actually recommend you put it on the home/front page template (as opposed to putting it in every template and then only execute it if it’s the home page).

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy

djrolstad
    Participant

I just need a different background

Anonymous
    Inactive

For smaller page specific changes like that I use the WordPress body class feature.

<body <?php body_class(); ?>>

That dynamically adds classes to the body based on what type of page you’re on. As an example, when on the home page the body tag will get a class of “home” (among others), while on a single post page it will get a class of “single”.

So what you can do with that is just below where you call your background in the css add a new line using the class specific to the home page with the different background.

If you’re body has the background just use this:

.home {
    background: stuff;
    }

Or if your background is on say a wrapper you could use this:

.home .wrapper {
    background: stuff;
    }
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.