Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress for Idiots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi guys, I was asked today to create a site for a local business. Usually I would simply put together a nice looking site, coding entirely by hand. But here’s the thing, all of the site’s content needs to be interchangeable by people who know nothing of web design. So I said to myself, ‘How could I go about doing this?’ And then I thought of WordPress.

My knowledge of WordPress is blog theme design, I have worked designing multiple themes, but not creating pages for other content. As I know CSS-Tricks is run by WordPress, I thought I would ask you guys.

The basic needs are as follows – the user (remember they have no knowledge of Web Design whatsoever), needs to be able to change certain content areas easily, for example, a ‘News’ page, with regular updates by multiple parties. And that is basically it. I’m sure I would still be asked to change certain aspects such as graphics every now and then, but for now they need to be able to change most of the textual and simple photo pages of the site.

Could this be done using WordPress, if not is there another CMS out there that would suit this task, or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance.

-Tom

chazzwick

It definately can. I would recommend looking at Chris’ videos on the subject, particularly http://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/41-wordpress-as-a-cms/.

Ive also found building a little control panel into the backend of wordpress is useful for clients, a place where they can quickly change small bits of the site. http://www.webloglines.com/blog/stuff/article/building_a_control_panel_for_your_wordpress_theme.php

quicky

I think Chris has nice vids on design as well aroun 26 27 28. The was what helped me pluck up the courage to dive in as it is always better to see someone making a site than reading about it.

Thanks very much for the replies guys, I’ll take a look at that screen cast, and those links, seems I can go about it with WordPress. Thanks for the response!

-Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.