Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress Custom Fields from Sub-Page to Parent Page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    slgworks

Hello Everyone,

I am new to wordpress theme design and php, so please excuse me if this is rudimentary.
    I am trying to setup a wordpress site that has a video archive page similar to the one on CSS-Tricks.
    I have individual video pages created as a sub-page of the video archive page.
    On the video archive page I have the individual video pages linked to dynamically using..

Code:
    ID.’&echo=0′);
    if ($children) { ?>

Also on the individual video pages, I have a custom field setup called "thumb" that I place the URL of the post thumbnail in.
    I would like to access the custom field info from the parent video page and have the image display in the list item of the dynamically generated links.

In other words I would like to dynamically load all the images from the sub-page custom field on parent page.

I hope that this makes sense.

Any help is much appreciated.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Hi,

As far as I know, you can only echo the meta data from inside "the_loop"

This page has more info about Meta Data http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Custom_Fields

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Yeah that sounds about right. Perhaps you should do a well-executed query_posts() to get those child pages, so then you are inside the loop and have access to the page titles AND can grab that image that is a custom field.

If you only need a flat list of posts under the current page then simply using query_posts with a loop would be your best option. The only problem is if you have hierarchical pages, which would require nested lists, as that is a little more complicated to acheive and it is this that most of the magic inside wp_list_pages is dedicated to.

I think you could use the following (untested) code as a starting point:

Code:
    query_posts(“post_type=page&post_status=publish&post_parent=$post->ID&orderby=title&order=asc&showposts=-1”);
    if (have_posts()) : while(have_posts()) : the_post();

echo ‘

• ‘ . ‘ID) . ‘” title=”‘ . attribute_escape(apply_filters(‘the_title’, $post->post_title)) . ‘”>’ . ‘
  • ‘;

endwhile; endif;

juliaxyz

How do they do this magic trick? You know that magic trick were a woman walks behind lets say a piece of wood that a guy is holding, she stands behind it for like 2 seconds and then shes wering different clothes to the one before she went behind the piece of wood. Could you please help me?

davesgonebananas

It’s all done with smoke and mirrors.

AshtonSanders
Participant

for some reason, I always subconsciously add "bananas" to the first line of every one of your posts…

Code:
It’s all done with smoke, bananas and mirrors.

oh…. wait a minute… :lol:

davesgonebananas

smokey bananas… mmm delicious

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)