Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS WordPress Conundrum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    oliverojm

Hello all! First post, so please forgive me any stupid things i say about my problem here. i appreciate your patience.

i really don’t know any css or html for the most part. i’ve messed with websites on and off but never really know what i’m doing. i basically do trial/error till i get it the way i want it to look!

anyway, i have customized a wordpress theme (elegant grunge). i’ve gotten everything to work how i want EXCEPT my menu options. i have links to pages such as home, gallery, about and contact. they seem to float left and right if you expand your page size instead of staying locked in their position. if your screen has a different resolution, they’ll also float up and down.

i tried to apply the attributes of my "body" to the menu area, but no luck. i would like the menu to react to page sizing like the body of my posts….staying anchored to the left in line with everything else.

here are some pics to help understand, and i can supply the code from the site if necessary. i’ve marked in red the problem area, and marked in green where i WANT the menu to be and STAY!
    can anyone help? any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

oh yeah. the site is oliverartist.com/portfolio

thanks,
    oliver

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Og1_Kenogi/trouble.jpg[/img]

TheDoc

It was set up very oddly, here is the change you need to make to your css file:
    Remove the padding-left and right here:

Code:
    #menu ul {
    width: 800px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding-left: 350px; DELETE ME DELETE ME!
    padding-right: 800px; DELETE ME DELETE ME!
    padding-top: 12em;
    min-height: 30px;
    list-style: none;
    }
    TheDoc

Upon second look, there are some crazy CSS shenanigans at play here.

EDIT: Just go with the edit I made to the above post. I would also change the padding-top from 12em to 190px.

oliverojm

ahh, doc thank you so much! that’s definitely more like what i was looking for. that has done wonders and it is not scooting around all over the place! it currently butts up to where the body copy is on the left. is there any way i can bump it to the right to center it above my blog posts? apparently my added padding was messing things up, so i’m not eager to try that again.

when you say there are lots of shenanigans, are you referring to some of the odd adjustments i’ve made? as i said, it was basically trial and error, so i’m sure i did some ridiculous things. if you have any particular clean-up recommendations i’d be happy to hear them!

thanks again for all of your help!
    cheers
    oliver

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Og1_Kenogi/trouble2.jpg[/img]

TheDoc

Oliver, you can add back some padding-left if you want to center it a bit more. Maybe padding-left:25px; will do the trick.

In terms of cleanup, I’d give the whole thing a redo, but it doesn’t really sound like you’re capable of that at this given moment, a project for the future!

Cool artwork, by the way.

oliverojm

thanks doc for all the help, and thanks for checkin’ out the site!

i added the padding and it seems to work just right.
    altho i’d love the redo the site and make sure it’s running as streamlined as possible, that’s definitely beyond me at this point. like you said, perhaps a future project…i guess for now, as long as the site is functioning, i can deal with it. for now i’ll just blame it on the downloaded template!

thanks again
    oliver

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.